Sunday, 24 May 2015

No Flying, No Game


Give them a hand, and expect to lose an arm.

I could start this post with I told you so, but where would be the point. My stance on Blizzard and their number of weird, and in my opinion wrong calls of late is well known, so I don't think it bears repeating. The only good thing that we got out of Warlords of Draenor were the new models. For the rest I cannot judge because I did not buy the expansion. One of the primary reasons being not knowing if we would be able to fly or not.

To some, this might appear as trivial, to me it is essential. When Blizzard says they don't want us to skip content, I am thinking of how annoying it is to kill a bunch of mobs that you don't need. They are just annoyance, I don't even perceive them as a challenge or obstacle. They are just there to waste my precious time. With flying I can circumvent them and be on my way, doing something that actually excites me. Without flying I am back to square one. Imagine saving Kull day after day without flying. A bloody nightmare. Flying made that daily quest bearable and maybe even exciting for a bit. Even if Kull really was incorrigible jackass.

From what I read, and trust me I read a lot, Warlords of Draenor turned out to be one giant grindfest. One more reason not to play it in my opinion. In my opinion Wrath of the Lich King was the pinnacle of World of Warcraft. In my opinion subscription numbers confirm that as well. So it would make sense that in order to return the numbers where they used to be (over 10 millions) Blizzard just needs to give us what we had back then.

I don't know what exactly, but on top of my head I can think of reputation tabards, five-man heroics, valour/justice points to purchase gear, daily quests that don't actually kill any will for the game, and jousting. Ok, this last one we can skip. Hell, if jousting is the worst Wrath of the Lich King had to offer we are all game. Some people whine about the Colosseum, but to this day I still claim that the fault of Colosseum was not its design, but its look instead. That raid came right after Ulduar. At that point nothing could topple Ulduar. To even come close, Colosseum would need to be more grand, majestic, well it would need to look the part, not just resemble a rustic building made out of rough stone and timber.

Back to the point. I think Blizzard lost its mojo. They lost their way, and they appear to be doing their own thing without even knowing why. Maybe I am wrong, maybe they do know what they are doing. But I doubt it has the intended results. At least if the intended result is not to lose more subscribers.

I've said it before but this bears repeating, Blizzard appears to be lost any kind of real interest in World of Warcraft. It cares much more for the profit the game brings than the actual game. Greed will be their demise. Well, maybe not Blizzard's but certainly demise of World of Warcraft. It will take years, and some might, as always, say that it is natural, the game is getting old. Truth is that World of Warcraft is dying slow death ever since Cataclysm came out.

But what do I know, 7 million players still play the game while I do not. One would think that if those 7 millions are happy with the game no matter what, it would be sound decision to cater to those that are not happy with the game in current state, you know, to boost the revenue, to increase the profits. But I guess introducing another shop-mount is easier. It requires less time and effort, than actually think about what you are doing.

To conclude we have Muffinus quote Henry Ford in order to explain why no flying anymore is good for the game. I find this quite ironic. “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” Talk about salt on the fresh wound.

If I recall Ford built a car, he did not ban freeway and demand people walk on the scenic route because it will be good for their mind and body. He gave them cars, and people built faster roads, to drive as fast as they could. So I find it laughable when they use Ford, who enabled people to travel faster for their apologetics why we cannot travel at our own speed. But then again, what do I know, I'm just a bitter cynic.

I will end this with a question. Why is flying such a big problem? Why is Blizzard incapable of designing content with flying in mind, and instead opts for the easy way out by removing it instead? This is not what visionary does, this is what a common who doesn't understand what he is doing does.

No comments:

Post a Comment