Monday, 5 January 2015

Delay of the Mandate


It has been awhile since I wrote something. I would like to say that I have a convenient excuse at the ready, but I think it does not really matter. It was holidays, and what is more I was lazy. And the last thing that has crossed my mind in these days was to drag my ass to the chair and force myself until I write something. That said, this is as good time as any to get back to writing, and today's topic is recent announcement my Perihelion Interactive that The Mandate will be released about a year later than it was originally intended.

As someone who originally supported The Mandate campaign on Kickstarter I am really not thrilled about this announcement. I was looking forward to exploring, ok let us be honest, conquering the galaxy in 2015. As it seems, I will have to wait one more year at bare minimum before I get the game I payed for in my hands. Let this be a lesson to all of you who fund a project on kickstarter on any other crowdfunding site. And let this be a lesson to all you who preorder as well.

You can read the reasons in the Mandate's latest project update. The developers, at least in that regard are rather punctual and open-hearted. They did not blow all the money, they are not asking for any additional funds, they are just taking their sweet time now that they have secured a publisher, and retained all creative control in order to deliver a game as they imagined it, and now the monstrosity it might turn out if they were forced to cut things because of various constraints. That said, we still have to wait before we will be able to asses the final product for ourselves. For now though, the developers are rather optimistic. A cynic in me tells me to name one developer that is not optimistic about their game.


All in all, of all the reasons to delay the game, a better game is definitely one of the better ones. I certainly love far more if the developers delay the game in order to deliver quality instead of delivering a half-finished product that falls apart as soon as you point at it from a distance. And we all know there was plenty of such games in last year.

I am still excited about the Mandate, I just hope that the game gets released by the end of next January (a fool's dream, it's going to be late March release).

No comments:

Post a Comment