Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Steam's Discoverability Update & My Curator List


Steam's Discoverability Update released last week was a gift from Heaven if you ask me. After all this time where the frontpage was plagued by various pre-orders, early-access scams, and DLCs, now there is finally peace. Tranquillity. The true perfection of silence. Instead of cacophony of chaotic half done games, the only things I now see on my frontpage are recently released games that should be on the frontpage. And I am grateful for that.

It needs to be said, that if you still want to see all "ungames" you are still able to, as for myself, first chance I got, I got rid of all the things that annoy me. This includes pre-orders, DLCs, and early access games. In my book, the game is either finished, or not finished. You buy the finished game when it is released, and don't buy unfinished game until it is finished and released. Simple rule for simple life.

Some might think back on how I backed Mandate on kickstarter, and to this day Mandate remains only thing I backed on kickstarter or any other similar service. I consider backing things on kickstarter a gamble. No matter how certain it looks, you need to accept that the money you pledged is money already lost. And with that in mind, what you end up getting or not getting is just odds in your favour. But kickstarter is a topic for another time.

Aside from getting rid of all things that pestered the Steam frontpage, now there are also Curators, people who have a group on Steam can make their own list of games they recommend. Currently the first place goes to Cynical Brit, and rightly so if you ask me. What this means, is that box quotes form more popular curators, or curators that you follow on Steam will show beside the description of the game you are currently taking a look at. This may lead to some hilarious moments, as for example DOTA 2 having a description of "The premier multiplayer misery simulator." attached to it. Anyone who ever played a game like DOTA will know how true this description can be at times.


As this is something everyone can do, I took part in it as well. You can find my curator list here. On it, are games that I consider good, and well worth the time you spend playing them. In the same breath, this will be some extra work from my side, as I intend to write an article about every game I recommend, and some of the games on my list, do not have an article written about them. I am still working on the name of column for those games that I have to write about in retrospect. For now, "In the Name of Curation" sounds good albeit a bit long. Work in progress I guess.

That aside, it seems interesting the way Steam looks to be heading in. The purpose of the whole update seems to be the ability for an individual to find games similar to those that s/he likes or plays. This is reinforced by the fact that you get in your Discovery Queue games that your friends play, games that are in some way similar to those that you play, and games that you will find on the lists of the curators you follow.

And even with all this changes aimed to make Steam more "personalised" what I still like the most is the fact that there is no more shovelware every time I open Steam, just waiting there and suffocating new and exciting releases that should have their own spot under the Sun, away from the crap that plagued frontpage for so long.

#Steam #Curator #Discoverability

No comments:

Post a Comment