Friday, 5 September 2014

Cannot Be Tamed Gaming Questionnaire


Another one of those, a lot of questions, and a lot of answers. I like that kind of posts, it feels like answering the questions I never really ask myself but I should. I am grateful for that. And thus, I am grateful to Jasyla for coming up with this Gaming Questionnaire in order to find the new focus for her own blog. What a wonderful thing, I get to reminisce, and help somebody else at the same time. Win-Win if you ask me.

1. When did you start playing video games?
I was six when I got my first taste of video games. I played Tetris on a handheld device, but there were other games as well. "Cars" is the only memorable one though. The goal was that your "formula" does not crash in other objects on the road, and further you lived, faster it all went. When I think of it now it was all rather simple, and really old. But I played with my brothers, and that was all that mattered. That was the only video game our father played with us as well. Nothing could convince our mother to play with us. In general my parents were more in favour of various card and tabletop games. There is a reason why I know card games nobody in my generation ever heard of. Sedma? Schnaps? Russian Schnaps? Gendarme? Belote?

2. What is the first game you remember playing?
I will answer in regard to the next question. Disney's Aladdin (1994 video game), we had it on a school computer that we were allowed to play after we finished our homework. The alternative was Wolfenstein 3D, but at the time it did not really look impressive. Aladdin was much more entertaining as I recall. Also, password for all the weapons and health in Wolfenstein is LIM, you press these three letters at the same time once in game. The only drawback is that your score resets, but we never really cared for that.

3. PC or Console?
PC.

4. XBox, PlayStation, or Wii?
PC or nothing. I don't have space, will, or money for a console. And even if I had, I would buy a PC. PC Master Race all the way and all that.
The cackling you hear is my good old PC reminding me, that even World of Warcraft is continuously reminding me that my video drivers are outdated. Savour the irony.

5. What’s the best game you’ve ever played?
It is actually hard to decide. I cannot say I love them both equally, but I love them both the same for different things. One is Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. The other is Unreal II: The Awakening. I still hope to see the day when sequel comes out. I find it interesting how the both are the games that I played in my early formative years. Of the later period I could probably single out Dragon Age: Origins, but I loathed that game because of my own fault. As I was already 10 something hours in, I saw an angle of my character I never saw before. He had no actual chin. And when I created him, he appeared to have that chin. And so this chinless city elf champion ended up saving the kingdom, while I secretly hoped I would get the chance to correct my mistake...

6. What’s the worst game you’ve ever played?
This one is actually recent. Game of Thrones, created by Cyanide. How appropriate the name of the company, because the game really is poison. Ugh, I don't know where to start but the game is horrible on all fronts. If you want to make a game after a book, take Witcher for example, and take Game of Thrones as an example of all the things to avoid doing. I believe this would yield a satisfying result. I realise this is rather vague, and not helpful, but there was not a game before that made me really not want to play it ever again after first ten minutes.

7. Name a game that was popular/critically adored that you just didn’t like.
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I don't care if the whole world loves it, if they keys are not connected as they should, and make the game unplayable, than that is it. I don't have anything to do with a game like that. I can't even use it to support my desk because it is digital.


8. Name a game that was poorly received that you really like.
I don't know about poor reception, but I guess Mass Effect 2 fits. While the world in general disliked the narrative, I loved more roguish approach to the matters. It felt nice feeling like I was doing my own thing because nobody else believed me. Although to this day I am still trying to get Lawson killed on suicide mission without other members dying. She's still alive and annoying... Some day...

9. What are your favourite game genres?
RPG, and platformers. I play grand strategies, FPS, TPS, and probably all other types and genres as long as they do not include charts. I like the game to engage me, not to make me do math. I got no grudge against math, I just don't see the general appeal in it. That also explains why I stubbornly stick with the beautiful sword instead of equipping the ugly abomination with superior stats in your regular RPG. Seriously, stop with the ugly. To clarify, beautiful sword is realistic sword, if it looks like space shuttle, it is ugly. And that is to put it mildly.

10. Who is your favourite game protagonist?
Prince of Persia from the Warrior Within. Driven, decisive, despairing. The prince is a tragedy incarnate. Lost his kingdom, his father, his love, he has nothing but the black demon Dahaka chasing him all through hell and high water. Ok, not the water as it is the weakness of time, and thus Dahaka's weakness as the demon is the guardian of the time itself. And the prince does not understand Dahaka's role, the only thing he knows for certain is that the beast wants him dead. And he is ready to change the flow of time in order to change everything. That was a valuable lesson. Change does not come easy, and often demands sacrifice that is far greater than you are willing to admit.

11. Describe your perfect video game.
The world, combat, and feel for reality of Witcher II combined with the deep, rich story, and narrative of Dragon Age: Origins. That game would be so awesome, and I still hope it happens one day.


12. What video game character do have you have a crush on?
What a silly notion, a crush on a video character? Me? Preposterous! Ok, fine, when I was young I liked Kaileena from Warrior Within. In my youth, she was everything I could ever wish for. And her voice was really something special. And I did appreciate that she was just the same as the Prince. Kaileena was also the first Femme Fatale I encountered. Well, the first I recognised as such.

13. What game has the best music?
World of Warcraft, Wrath of the Lich King. Nothing could ever beat Stormpeaks in my mind. On my funereal which will be held after so many years that even internet will be considered fit only for the annals of history, I want Invincible playing on the loop. Yes, I do have music planned for my funereal. It just so happens that once I heard the song it was already decided, it fit.

14. Most memorable moment in a game:
This is the question that I skipped, and saved for the end, thinking something will come up when I finish with the rest of them. Nothing stands out in particular. Thus, I will go with the first thought that came to me. Our guilds first kill of Arthas in the Icecrown. Our progression group already killed it, long time ago, they even had some bosses on heroic on farm. On other hand, our 25 man group struggled for some time, and when we finally killed him, there was joy, happiness, and maybe some tears. I know we laughed at someone who released after Arthas killed us at 10%, and we tried to console him that next time we will kill him faster, we took pictures, and in general felt like kings that night.

15. Scariest moment in a game:
It is not so much a moment as it is the whole level. To this day I dislike dark games, simply because I cannot see a thing, and I actually like see things. But anyway, there was this level in Unreal II, all dark and scary. I think it was the 7th or something like that. The moment I sat my foot in I let my younger brothers take over. It was creepy, haunting, futuristic in a way that did not sit well with me. It was really alien to my mind. It did not feel disgusting, but it felt too different and at the same time too familiar. Today, I would mark that level as the epitome of uncanny valley. At the time, it was just disturbingly dark and green.


16. Most heart-wrenching moment in a game:
The moment Arthas came home and killed his own father. That was my "Game of Thrones" moment. I refused to play as Arthas in the Scourge campaign for some time after that cinematic. I hated him with a fury of thousand suns. I saw his crime as unforgivable, I wished lightning would strike and end him right there and then. When I killed him years later in the Icecrown Citadel, I felt the justice was finally served.

17. What are your favourite websites/blogs about games?
You can find my favourite blogs in my blogroll. I do not agree with all of them all the time (if ever), at times I will go in long discussions with some of them, but I believe that discussion breeds creativity, and might even broaden the horizons. Not mine, because I am stubborn fool who is always right, but still, I try. :)

As for the websites, as of recent I found the appreciation for techraptor, forbes, and nichegamer.

18. What’s the last game you finished?
I cannot recall. I am in a bit of a bind at the moment, and the only game I have enough time to play is Hearthstone. Even that, only a couple of games to finish the quests. If I put some effort in it and find some actual time, it could be the Papers Please, as I stopped playing after the glorious Arstotzka took all my money in the name of the good of its citizens. I wish I could send the neighbours who ratted me out to the state into darkest dungeon of the totalitarian regime.


19. What future releases are you most excited about?
Mandate, Witcher III, Dragon Age Inquisition, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Ghost of a Tale, Sui Generis, Hellraid, and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

20. Do you identify as a gamer?
Depends of the context and the company I am with. On the internet, the confines of my blog, and the games I play, yes I identify as gamer. In general, that is just one of many labels that can be ascribed to me.

21. Why do you play video games?
Because they are fun, and entertaining. They are nice pastime, and I enjoy them greatly.

#Gaming Questionnaire

No comments:

Post a Comment