Tuesday, 17 June 2014

E3 Wraport

E3 came to its end, and now it is time to see what it had to offer. I cannot say there was really much of new stuff that would interest me. Most of the games present in E3 were ones I was already interested, while the new pickings were rare. Another thing I think needs to be noted is, how the majority of this games will all release next year or later. Second part of 2014 seems to be a bit barren with the exception that is November every year. Nothing we can really do about it.

First is Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The game is beautiful. It seems to be everything the developers claim it to be and that is great. Since Geralt grew beard, I hope this will be something we could play around with when we visit a barber, like we could change hairstyle in Witcher 2. CD Projekt RED are slowly but surely establishing their primarchy when it comes to quality RPG games. With the third Witcher game being the conclusion to the Geralt's saga, I look forward to what they can do with the Cyberpunk 2077.


Dragon Age Inquisition has a lot to prove at this point. Bioware needs to step up its game. After the fiasco that was Dragon Age 2, the disaster of Mass Effect 3 ending and not to mention record breaking pace of switching The Old Republic to free-to-play, Bioware really needs a hit. It appears they listened to their fans, but now we will have to wait and see if they learnt something from that. I do wonder if they fixed the models of male elves, they were downright anorexic in Dragon Age 2. Maybe there is a reason why Bioware not even once mentioned the second game...

Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor, if anything turns me away from this one, it is the vast amounts of darkness. I actually like to see what is going on on my screen. The premise of the game seems to be that by some strange chance a sole ranger gifted with powers that remind me of ring's wraiths infiltrated the Mordor, and is doing everything in his power to sow chaos, discord, and enmity among the Sauron's legions. You will get around the Mordor, make enemies, kill enemies, and by some strange coincidence make some enemies rise above other enemies. It is Mordor you are in after all.

GTA 5 is coming to the superior platform close to one year after its release on the consoles. It is coming to the inferior next generation consoles as well, but the main thing is that it will be available for PC. Looking forward to this one after Saint's Row 4 disappointed with their eternal dark skies and insanity that went a step too far. Hoping that GTA 5 will know how to entertain while still not constrain us with realism. Sometimes it seems like I do not know what I really want. That's life I guess.

Battlecry will be a 32-player online team action game, that is the child of Bethesda's BattleCry Stuidos. It looks neat, but if I know anything, than it will be probably out somewhere around next year. Probably toward the end of the next year, or even later. Anyhow, I like the steampunk theme, and the absence of gunpowder, now we will have to wait to see if they manage to balance ranged and close-quarter classes. At least based on the trailer it looks like there are classes. As we know this can all change.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the fruit of the kickstarter. Aiming to release in last days of 2015 there is still some time before we can see what the game has to offer, but the premise is really interesting. They are betting on realism. No fantasy, no dragons, mages and similar tropes, it is strictly medieval, and it aims to please the crowds that like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare in my opinion. Sandbox seems to be the buzzword these days, everyone wants to make a sandbox RPG.

Lords of the Fallen, another action RPG. Reminds me a lot of Dark Souls. Story seems to include paladins, so that is a big plus in my book. We will see what comes of it. They promise that the three classes, warrior, cleric, and rogue will be able to use and learn the skills of each other. Story will involve your character and develop based on your character. And the combat seems to be based on medieval weapon mastery. That would once again mean realistic combat as much as that is possible in the confines of a fantasy world.

Mirror's Edge 2 will be coming, nothing new there. The game seems to be the same as the first, only better what concerns the movement and parkour. We will have to wait what this means for the overall story involving faith in the game itself, but I like the emphasis on running, and that even combat involved is based around running away. Although, I would lie if I claimed I did not stop in the first game at every enemy, disarmed him and shot everyone else, and then moved on. What can I say? I don't like to be shot at while I'm running and jumping from one roof of the building to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment