Tuesday, 10 December 2013

PvP and Me


I will not complicate. I do not PvP. At least not out of joy, fun, or on regular basis. I think the last time I really enjoyed PvP in World of Warcraft was during the Wrath of the Lich King and the never ending battles for Wintergrasp. I liked the scenery, I liked the siege element, and I loved the chaos it brought once you breached the first walls. It reminded me on my battles in Alterac during the Burning Crusade.

When I talk about PvP, I mean battlegrounds. I never much fancied Arena. It was never my cup of tea. I always prefered the dynamic of battlegrounds, even if at times some of the objectives were and continue to boggle my mind. You are locked in a stand-still for years over chopping some trees, and the only thing you do to ensure your victory, is to steal the flag from your enemy stronghold? I think this is what led to stand-still in the first place...

Occasional silliness aside, I love battlegrounds, well at least Arathi Basin, Alterac Valley, Eye of the Storm, and Wintergrasp. I am not really a fan of Warsong Gulch ever since the nerfed my nitro boots, and made it nigh impossible to come back to your base with a flag in less than 75 seconds. Now, when I use nitro boots, I leave the flag behind...

Those battlegrounds, I would consider classics. This is based solely on my taste. I did not play much of PvP since Wrath. I checked the new battlegrounds in Cataclysm, and I disliked the feel of them. They were depressing, murky. Not a places to my liking. The only place that was not all dark, was Twin Peaks, but that was Capture the Flag, so, not really my thing. I also felt very weak in comparison to Wrath. But as I was away from most of the Cataclysm, I cannot say much about them. Not my thing.


I really hated what they did with most of the world in Cataclysm. For the same reasons as I hate Guild Wars II now for what they are doing with the world. Change does not mean you need to destroy the beautiful zone that was just fine. Change does not mean you need to remake everything. Change can be good as well, not just bad. Yes, the name of Cataclysm implies a disaster. But that disaster could lead into more water in Barrens, and Badlands, maybe some green in Burning Steppes.

But let us get back to the topic. I could go on and on and on about change and changing for some time. Maybe I will some other time. What led to all this writing was my recent experience in PvP. I was a bit gun shy over giving it another try ever since I came back in Pandaria. I remembered how painful it was in Cataclysm, and I highly doubted anything would change.

If we count in the fact that I really really hate losing, it can be understandable. Better first in a village rather than second in Rome. If I cannot give my best and have a good fight, I will rather not engage at all, if I will lose in any case. Which was the case during the Cataclysm. It was Wrathion who forced me to give PvP another try. His nefarious schemes led me to Silvershard Mines, and Temple of Kotmogu.

I thought I will have to grit my teeth and wait patiently until a miracle occurs and we actually win. I was pleasantly surprised when the game modes of both battlegrounds were familiar. On an instinctive level of play. We, the might of the Horde war machine were tearing Alliance apart, dominating on all fronts in that mine. It was a good game. I did well as well, I was not a hindrance to my team, but an asset. This was what I worried the most.


Next, and for now my final game in battlegrounds was in Temple of Kotmogu. I really like this one. At times it plays to our most basic player instincts, while at the same time builds the objective around that same instinct. The desire to kill an enemy. In short, it is a game of catch, and tag at the same time. You are trying to kill the enemy and secure their flags, while at the same time, keep your flag carriers alive. It is basically objective based deathmatch, where instead of kills, precision kills count. I must say, that we had an amazing team of healers, who did their job admirably. I think that in the whole game I died only once.

Ever since then I am once again a bit shy of venturing to the battlefields for honor and glory. I am afraid that my thoughts of it will change, and the illusion of grandeur shatter. So I am keeping at distance for now. Some day. Some day I will dare, and I will conquer once more. And my enemies will lament the day they saw my name. A man can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment