Sunday, 1 December 2013

A long lull to Warlords of Draenor


Warlords of Draenor might hit somewhere by this summer. They might. I might as well hit a jackpot. Chances for both of scenarios are somewhere the same. If I know Blizzard, they love to take their sweet time. Which is fine, and admirable trait on its own. It is much better to have game later, but polished, than early and broken. But this means, that well at best, there is half a year until next expansion, but more realistically, somewhere between nine months and a year.

So what does this mean for us? Well, a very long period without any new content. Blizzard stated there would be no major patches (new content) until the pre-expansion patch. This means, we get to defeat Garrosh, and now patiently wait for almost a year for Garrosh to be removed from Orgrimmar as well. And then portal will go red over night, and shall go onward, where new adventures await.

But what until then? Well, this was what I was asking myself for some time now. One year, or close approximation of it, is a long time without content. What would I be doing for so long. World of Warcraft is fun, but ice cream is good as well, and you get sick of it if you eat it without a pause as well. My conclusion, and solution of sorts was diversification of my activities.

A saviour of sorts was merging of Daggerspine in Europe with Chromaggus, Shattered Halls, and Boulderfist. This brought new life to a realm that at times felt as single player game. It sure helped my enthusiasm. Now I can have regular PUG groups for Ulduar and Icecrown Citadel. One day I might even venture to Firelands, and see what I missed there. It seems that for some time, I will be happily scraping together all cool plate sets for my Death Knight, and all the dragons that eluded me for years.


There is also PvP. Just the other day I was forced by Wrathion to get into Silvershard Mines, and Temple of Kotmogu. At first I thought this would be an excruciating experience, with a lot of pain and suffering. Something akin to Twin Peaks at the beginning of Cataclysm. This was the last time I stepped in battleground or arena. I grit my teeth, closed my eyes and awaited the first punch.

It was nothing like that. Both of the battlegrounds were a lot more to my liking. I knew instinctively what to do, and how to do it, even though it was my first time there. It might have helped the impression as we won both games, while I had died only once in both games.

I really hope to farm enough honour to have some decent PvP gear ready soon. I am also farming justice points, although these days with very lax attitude. I need heirlooms for my new Forsaken rogue. That said, there are number of alts that need to be leveled up, at least to the point where I can send their heirlooms to the rest of the greedy bunch, just waiting to get out in the world.

Yes, levelling with heirlooms is not a requirement, but I have a difficulty getting myself playing any of my alts in any case. heirlooms are just the newest excuse of mine why I do not play them more than I do. I should probably go and level up my Worgen warrior. The Jade Forest might be his natural habitat, but by now he is probably howling at the Moon out of his loneliness and sense of abandonment. Serves him right. This was all his fault because he decided to join Alliance instead of the Horde.


Also, there is Hearthstone. I am not yet in beta, but even by my worst of luck there is maximum of two months until I will be able to play the game. For what I was able to experience through my friends plays (he was streaming through the skype, while I told him what to play) it was a lot of fun. Probably because I felt like I was controlling another human being, but still.

If worse comes to reality, and I really do decide to take a break from WoW, it would be because of accomplishing most of my goals. It might happen, but I think that the connected realms pushed this decision at least for a couple of months down the line. Probably right until the start of exam period. This is general plan, but how this goes, is yet to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment