Friday, 15 November 2013

Friday Musings: Reset


Usually I am not really one for crowdfunding projects. I like the idea, I just do not see myself parting with the money. When it comes down to it, I am frugal with money. And it is not just crowdfunding, real life as well. I will turn every cent I have three times over, and then another three times more before I decide to spend it, if I decide to spend it. It is just the way I was raised I guess.

Nevertheless, there are people who support nascent projects that can only come to fruition through the collective effort of the crowd. I know I am grateful to them. It is because of those people, that I am able to play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Thomas Was Alone, and probably some other game that eludes my memory at this moment. And even though I never supported a single project, I do look forward to seeing what comes of some of them. Sui Generis comes to mind.

Today, I would like to draw your attention to Reset. Reset is a lot of things. But as it describes itself, is probably the most accurate. The first quote comes from youtube video description, the second from the game's website.
A sci-fi noir, a mystery, a first person puzzle game. Reset is infused with mind boggling puzzles, a grippingly haunting but beautiful story and an unparalleled immersive atmosphere.
Reset is a single player co-op first person puzzle game with a strong emphasis on story and atmosphere. The unique game mechanic in Reset is the ability to travel back in time to solve puzzles co-operatively, with yourself.
Reset is an adventure game in development by Theory Interactive. A small Finnish indie studio consisting of two people. I do not understand what it is lately with the games that are made with such small number of people, but the ones I get to play are usually really good. So with hoping this will hold true with Reset as well, let us discuss what we can for a bit.

What I will say, is that this is all yet to be seen. What I can say though, it is that the gameplay trailer looks amazing. The particular mechanic of playing the game in pair with yourself sounds interesting, and should allow a new look on co-operative gameplay. I loved the look of the robot, and the idea that to some degree the way you play right now would depend on your actions in the past. The aesthetics of the game look fine. Photorealism suits Reset. It makes the robots feel more real, and the world pristine.

So, with no further ado, here are the links, where you can find out more about the game. The website, link of the video, and the crowdfunder. At the time of this writing, they have already raised over twelve thousand euros. Their goal being sixty-five thousand euros, with short of forty days left.

The links to future past:
Reset Homepage
Reset Gameplay Teaser
Indiegogo Reset Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment