Saturday, 5 October 2013

World of Warcraft through years


I started playing World of Warcraft in my first year of High school. That was way back in... I am too lazy to count all those years back. All I remember is that The Burning Crusade was already out, and I rolled a Blood Elf Paladin. Because Blood Elves were the only class that could be a Paladin on the Horde. And my friend at time played as Horde.

We actually shared that one account for about a half a year. After that, I went on, bought my own copy of the game. Made an account and leveled up a Blood Elf Paladin again. On the same realm. I remember that I was just a bit late to do the first class quests, when they were still unchanged. There was no talk of skill and greatness this time around when I tried siphoning the light out of what was left behind after the captured Na'aru left with Kael'thas.

Nevertheless, I managed to level up before the Scourge event took place. I tried myself in Karazhan, but that probably had more to do with my guild needing an extra hand, than my skills. I was a Retribution Paladin. I was one specialization that made everyone else at that time cross themself as soon as they saw one of my kind. People threw salt to keep me away, wore garlic beads around their necks.

Ok, it was not that bad. Especially not after the Sunwell patch. What really bothered me, is that Retribution as specialization became more popular. I was not a special snowflake any longer. There was a lot more snowflakes like me now. But one thing was a consolation. I was the true Retribution Paladin. Not just a pretender that came after the specialization got a buff.


What stayed in my memory through all this time though, is getting my hands on Arcanite Ripper. I was never really lucky when it came to weapons. This is why at time of the Scourge event and Karazhan, I still used Terokk's Quill. Arcanite Ripper dropped and the loot council started debating who will get the weapon. An Enhancement Shaman, or me. At the end, what got me the weapon, was that Terokk's Quill. The loot council decided that I need an upgrade much more than the shaman, who was mostly clad in epics in any case. To this day, whenever I wait in raid, or now LFR, to start the fight, I pull out Arcanite Ripper and let out the wonderful metal sound of the guitar.

I continued to play through Wrath of the Lich King. This was the expansion, where I really started raiding. I never got to kill Yogg-Saron, but all other bosses fell. Contrary to popular opinion, I loved Trial of the Crusader. No trash was a God-sent for me. I still believe to this day, that if Ulduar persisted a few more months, a greater number would be happy about Trial of the Crusader.

If Ulduar did not have those teleporters, everyone would praise Trial and detest Ulduar. You know I am right. Just imagine running all those lengths once you wiped at Thorim or Freya. How long would that last? It is the convenience of Ulduar that made a lot of people so dissatisfied with Trial of the Crusader. That and the fact that the arena was pale shadow of what comes to mind when you think of Colosseum. I guess that if that arena had more Ulduar in its art, it would be better. They could say that the goblin contractors found some pillars lying around and to keep costs at minimum, decided to use them instead of building everything from scratch.


Somewhere along here I finally finished What a long, strange trip it's been. I even got Champion of the Frozen Wastes title. And even got Headless Horseman's Mount. It was a good year. Even though Armageddon never dropped in my raid, and Death's Bite was replaced only later with Quel'Delar.

As the Lich King fell, I soon took a break. It was not that I was exhausted, that I burned out, or anything similar. It was just my last year in high school, and I needed to prioritize school. Once I got to University, I returned in Cataclysm. I will admit. When I saw Worgen model leaked and information that would be a new Alliance race I thought it was a bad joke.

As I saw it, new races meant that the balance could be set. At time, Horde had two races in Eastern Kingdoms and three on Kalimdor. Alliance had three races in Eastern Kingdoms and two on Kalimdor, I figured, next race for Alliance would be based on Kalimdor, and for Horde on Eastern Kingdoms. In that equation, Worgen were meant to be new-found allies of the Forsaken. And Furbolgs new allies of Night Elves.

Instead we got Worgen for Alliance and Goblins for the Horde. It was not bad. I leveled up my Worgen Warrior to max level alongside my Blood Elf Paladin. Even raided with him through Throne of the Four Winds, Bastion of Twilight, and Blackwing Descent. But it just was not made after my taste. The changes to the old world bothered me. As I saw it, they just ruined the world, they did not change it. Orgrimmar was now a pile of iron and smoke and Stormwind was a mess.


Soon after, the whole guild on Alliance side quit. Cataclysm was just not our cup of tea. I returned a few months before Mists of Pandaria, and killed with my old Horde guild Deathwing. That night was slow, and guild needed one more. I was more than happy to join.

As for Mists of Pandaria, I have it easy. Leisurely. I do not rush. I do not hurry. I take everything at my own pace. I grind the reputations one by one. Finish the reputations I missed in all those years. I have so many things to do, and just right amount of time to do it.

In all those years I played WoW, I finished high school, am about to wrap things up on university. SoonTM. Really. I promise. I met numerous people, both good and trolls. With some of those people We are still friends, even now when some of us moved to other games. We still stay in touch, play Chivalry, League of Legends or whatever the flavour of the month is.

World of Warcraft introduced me to fantasy literature beyond Tolkien. Before that, all I really read, were old adventure novels and detective stories. I was about to give up on literature, because as I grew, more and more the only alternative I was given was between social novel and a novel about impoverished peasants. There really is a finite amount of how many novels about poor peasant one can read.

No comments:

Post a Comment